Monday, December 11, 2006

Wo(e)men---did they say???

One point of time my friends used to call me a feminist….and I would oblige them with yet more reasons to say so…..

True, I am absolutely proud to belong to the “fairer sex”...True I advocate equal rights for women…True , I believe those discriminating on the basis of sexism are worse than those practicing apartheid. And yet its also true that I feel sometime we tend to overdo it!!!

I have never supported the 33% reservation policy. I know there would be quite a few eyebrows raised when I say this…But I genuinely believe one either has the potential to make a place for oneself….or doesn’t. There’s no midway to success!!You would definitely make it big if you have the caliber-no matter what your caste, colour, creed or gender is!!So why “reserve” place for women….It, according to me, does not advocate equality for women…it attempts at elevating their social status (and ultimately lands up degrading us!!!)as compared to men. Why can’t we be just equals??

Today this feeling got further flared as I read the following link:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1061211/asp/calcutta/story_7114587.asp

Why should we have an all-women book fair? Why segregate events / talent on the basis of gender? There never has been an all-men book fair…has it???Then why is the society so proud of hosting an all-women event??

When would we start living in the 21st century??...not only per se chronology but also in our maturity level???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi priya,
nice 2 read ur blog abt 33% reservation policy.its shows abt ur open mindness abt women.india s giving equal rights 4 women 4m the olden days itself.u can take eg..of our freedom fighters and legendaries....Jansi rani,sarojini naidu,kasturi bai...lists will goes on.but inbetween period,politicans changed the india bcoz of their selfish...strongly,i'll say,that gals dont need 33% reservation n politics.Let them be a free bird...instead of getting inside the poltical garbage.i hope that u ppl will accept my view.
Jai Hind

Phoenix said...

well said priyanka di...women have already made their mark...we donot need extra favous to make us feel needed or wanted...we dont want anythng but oppertunity to prove our worth...here's to feminism and you!kudos!love raka [loreto...hope u still remember]

Tanvi said...

That is a very good thought in the form of your blog. I am not a feminist but the segregation really baffles me? First they say ‘we are equal’, then they keep a chunk of equality on the platter and say ‘that’s reserved for the needy half’. Cant blame it all on men, women need to realize they are not needy..

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@completely second tht tanvi!!:)