Monday, July 10, 2006

Déjà vu!

My mood today has been more reflective than any other day in the recent past....blame it on the weather...So the post that's going to follow shall have absolutely no elements of gag!!

I had this sort of feeling long back in school...say when I was in the seventh standard or so...when we were to write this essay on "Child Labour".Normally , any essay to be written required me to refer at least a desk-full books from the library or beyond(those were the times when the art of CtrlC + CtrlV were obscurities to me).As a norm therefore,I referred to quite a few books on the same topic.Its strange-the ways in which a child's mind may work!!It struck me,during the process of study,how oblivious we are to the comforts we have in life...how we take all the care/nurturing for granted...how we play past(almost literally) the so-called attention bestowed by our parents....and that was the day I went and thanked my parents for who they were.......

Years have sped by after that day.I live in a new century now.Its been five years now that I am away from home...since I have lived at home for more than three weeks.I do miss home...but I have accepted the reality that one has to move on in life.

And yet last evening...as I glanced through the pages of Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha" ...I realised how I had struck a deja-vu...how I got back at thinking the same way as I did in Std.7....how I began to treasure my childhood more than ever.Its striking how the book unfolds a Geisha's life from her point of view since she was a toddler....without a moment of boredom.It speaks volumes about her transformation as she metamorphoses from a child who had no aim in life to a lady who epitomised elegance and charm.But what struck me most is the child's struggle to survive in a big bad world without anyone she could call her own....and successfully so.

After so many years today,I am compelled to think the same way I thought years back.After so many years today,I again realise the worth of having a secure childhood.After so many years today,I feel like going back to my parents and saying a heartfelt "Thank You"...just like that....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

as always iam impressed with ur style of writing.. there is something abt ur style which compels me to visualise things when iam reading it, probably thats the art, and i feel u have mastered it quite well.
ur blog on deja' vu was quite appealing, specially to me who is so far away from home,family and frds,ur blog left a smile on my face.keep up ur good work and i hope to see some more, such topics on ur blog
-shayri

Ramesh Roshan.. said...

oye sarkar..amazing writing style yar!![:)]
too good..

Priyanka Sarkar said...

hey shayri/ramesh...thnks a lot ya....im already flying;)

Bhaskar Azad said...

Really well written, it makes one realize the importance our parents have in life! Childhood is indeed one of the most carefree times in life, and the fact has been elicited really well in the blog! Wonderful style of wrting.. .keep it up, waiting for more! :)
- Bhaskar

Abhishek Nath said...

hmmm...seems someone is getting lots of accolades for writing gr8888 stuff..keep it up:)

Anonymous said...

best sdioter
http://www.moviespoint.org/