Thursday, November 23, 2006

The days gone by.......

Irony, thy name is life!!!

True, very true! How else can you explain the merrymaking one indulges in to celebrate his/her step towards geezerhood…to put in sweeter terms – birthdays!!

Okay I’m getting a year older tomorrow and here’s what I plan to do…Slog at office like usual till say 7 ,with occasional interruptions of my cell buzz(or so I’d like to believe)…and then have dinner with my select set of friends…and ….that’s it I guess!!

Gone are the days when I would excitedly wake up on 24th of Nov to find a “surprise” pack that my parents would leave at my bedside…That was one surprise I could trade the world for!!!Best of clothes, accessories and everything I wanted…sometimes all would be matched in colour(I actually had a fetish for that)…the “surprise” had it all….Then Dad would pack chocolates to be distributed in school,a respite from uniform and then an evening of friends and uncles and aunties around with loads of gifts and awesome meal with all my favourite dishes….That was what my birthday meant for me…..How I miss those days…

And then came the days of adventurous birthdays....the day just got better with every passing year at the hostel…first year was more of a somber midnight celebration with practically unknown faces clapping and hogging on MY birthday cake…soon followed by the crazy days to come…I still claim my best birthday was the one during my final year in college when my friends “surprised” me during a late night walk at the meadows where I was made to cut my cake….One helluva birthday that was….

Now my dear darling parents and most of those crazy friends are physically away from me…and the ones who’re here won’t be here again…Things are not the same….but then they never are….Every birthday has been unique and as long as they’re happy dare I complain!!!??? Noibo Noibo cho(that’s a Bong touch to my birthday;))…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is cute!
We don't often get to see such simple yet nostalgic pieces any more!
Keep it up. May there be many more such birthdays to celebrate for you...

Soumik said...

I am surprised that in 2006 you were working!