Monday, April 09, 2007

Its all in a name.......


When I read “The Namesake” by Jhumpa Lahiri, I remember having identified with the characters. The feeling got re-juvenated after watching its screen version.

I have always maintained that books lose their charm once they are made into movies…But I must confess I did think otherwise this time. With powerful performances by truly talented actors, impeccable direction, and absolute technical proficiency (though I am no critic to technical aspects of movie-making, I loved certain camera shots…For eg: the Howrah station scene merging past and present)...The movie was indeed a delightful experience. I must specially mention the lead actor’s (Irfan Khan) amazing attempt at mimicking the Bengali accent. It’s commendable as to how he has brilliantly spun authenticity into it without overdoing it. (You have to trust my opinion on this one!)

One tends to identify with Nikhil ‘Gogol’ Ganguli. His character compels you to ponder on your cultural standing. You tend to question your attitude towards your family, your roots and your beliefs….I feel it provides an absolutely necessary halt to our otherwise fast paced lives…It re-emphasizes the need to live in the present…to feel the beauty of having a family and to feel how it is to be loved…Gogol is like a reality check to the hot blooded youth of today….

Not always would you come across movies which provoke you to carry the thought along once you leave the theater. I am glad I experienced this rare feeling last Saturday…This one’s definitely worth a watch(or may be more)!!!

12 comments:

Deepti said...

I totally agree with you. A truly wonderful movie that had me thinking for a long time after it ended....wish it wasnt so sad though :)

Karn Chandra said...

For some god-forsaken reason, the movie releases on 14th June in this part of the world. :-(

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@deepti: if u think abt it...it does hv an optimistic ending....except the moushumi bit of course;)
@karn : ow!!!thts truly sad.....but u better not miss it!!:)

Dupa Jasia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Impressionist said...

Now wait a sec.
I've got different opinions frm ppl!
WILL SOMEONE TELL ME IS IT WORTH A WATCH ATLEAST!?

Nice blog :D

Peace & Love
JeeVY

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@rajeev:
it depends whether u wud like it or not....but it definitely deserves a watch....for the sheer novelty of presentation....go get urself a ticket....
btw thnks :)

Anonymous said...

hey thanx for ur visit upon mah blog.
I hope u dont have any problem if i link ur blog :)

Peace & love
JeeVY

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@rajeev
no probs at all....its a pleasure:)
tc

Sahil Jain said...

I havent read the novel and neither have I seen the movie yet, but another movie as good if not better than the novel was Masoom based on Man, Woman and Child.

Anonymous said...

I feel compelled to write and tell you that how much I enjoyed the movie .. Its really worth to watch. A virtuoso performance by all leading actors… Mira Nair once again proved her prowess-ness in direction and Jhumpa Lahiri, person behind all these definitely showed her wit & intelligence….
Only thing is..as an eloquent speaker you wrote “Its all in name”… but an immensely popular novelist once averred “What’s there in name”..
And I believe …
“What’s there in name”.
.....

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@Sahil : i see....i havent read the novel but i love "masoom":)
n u do go watch/read "namesake"!!!
@anon : ths r certain moments when i tend to deviate from the dramatist....certain times name s all that counts....:)

Sahil Jain said...

well, I saw the movie too, but didnt like it one bit.. its very very vague..!! I believe the narration in the novel is supposed to be the best part.. but after the movie, I doubt if I will read it!!