Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hail Loreto!!!

People are all moving on in life.....some going abroad for “higher studies”, some settling for newer jobs, some “settling” in the Indian sense of the term(read : marrying)...but all of them moving ahead ......

And here I am...reminiscing on those days of my past....specifically of the school where I spent some of my most crucial years – Loreto Day School. I thought I owe at least one blogpost to my school...So here it goes..................

It was one of those wet, sultry rainy days of June’92 – my parents took me through those huge green gates...to meet Sr. Mary Ross (my fellow Loretians would already have some bells ringing by now)...A highly revered Irish hexagenarian with the deepest blue eyes I’ve ever seen...that’s exactly how I’d describe her!!!

And before I could know any further I had spent 8 years of my life on campus on 9, Elliott Road. Loads of my girlhood memories are perhaps seeped in those massive yellow buildings....those strong house fights (Tagore house still rocks!!), morning assemblies (oh boy!!!What adrenaline rushes they were), innumerable events/contests (Winning them were as good as the Oscars, I daresay!!!)....unit tests (and merit cards and uncontrolled rivalries) ............I’m sure it already sounds like a "My School" essay!!! :)



This is how “My School” still affects me.....And why not....I met some of my best teachers there....Mrs Sen (her affable charm still never fails to fascinate me), Mrs Bhattacharya (Thanks to her ...I was addicted to Mathematics),Mrs. Chatterjee (No one knew Shakespeare better than her...I’d like to believe)..................[far too many to list I guess]....I made some of my closest friends there....and I treasure some of my most cherished memories there...

Pardon the length of this post....Its more than just nostalgia I feel for my school....no wonder I still revel at the mention of its name and I still remember my school song by heart.....
Loreto’s banner gaily floats in lands both east and west
Loreto’s name each girl reveres and holds it ever blest

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice blogpost … as I was reading about ur school, I starts to reminisce about my days in the school. I wonder after such a long time, that moment seems eternal as if it all happened yesterday.

Karn Chandra said...

Just the other day, I was reminiscing my school days. This post just came in time!

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@anon : glad i reminded u of ur school days!![i still want to know who this is...]
@karn : :)

Phoenix said...

hey i love school too and sister mary..is is my fav princie...btw vivek rocks!!!i share your admiration for mrs sen too....and as far as i remember i seem to like this young teacher who had come as a substitue for one of our maths classes...i like her too! :D wink! wink!

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@raka : i actually took time to think who this teacher was....was it my namesake ???lol

Cruel Intentions said...

That definitely was a lovely piece of writing, would love to read more from you

Priyanka Sarkar said...

@ cruel intentions:
thnks for stopping:)
hope i live upto ur expectations...lol